Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Design | {Before & After} DIY Chalkboard Frame


You may remember, I expressed my crush on chalkboards a few post back.

While this one doesn't even measure up to those that I pinned, I still tried my hand at it and wanted to share with you here.

When I saw this little beauty at a local thrift shop, I knew immediately it's new birth was to be a chalkboard.


I couldn't resist the thrifty find at $7.  Couple that with a $5 quart of chalkboard paint, a misting of Dover white spray paint (already had) and a lot of scrubbing and you have a $12 chalkboard.

Believe me, you can't find a chalkboard in this size for $12 anywhere!

The hardest part of the entire process was getting the old paper off.

I googled how and found a formula for half water and half fabric softener to dissolve/soften the paper so you can scrub it off with device of choice.  For me, it was the Mr's razor blade tool.

After 2 soaks and the entire family trying their hand at the scrubbing, I was ready for the chalk paint...a breeze compared to the last step.  I chose to do two coats.

Here's the little guy finished.

Well, I say finished, but I still have some touch up to do.  You'll see, white on black and black on white...Grrr!!!

 I also need to desperately practice my chalkboard writing/art skills...not a talent of mine.

Here it is anyway.  Enjoy!

  





12 comments:

  1. i love the funky shape! and your handwriting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katelyn! It's always a treat to hear from you. Hope you are doing well! Thanks for taking a moment to stop by. Blessings, Anna

      Delete
  2. i think it's fabulous! great make-over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I also have a thing for chalkboards:) {I just recently posted how to make a framed chalkboard for your fridge.} Yours is so cute and I love the shape of it. Very nice!
    Blessings to you!
    ~Heather @ourcultivatedlife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, thanks for taking the time to comment. One of my favorite things is to hear from readers. I can't wait to check out Our Cultivated Life. Blessings, Anna

      Delete
  4. I have a MAJOR CRUSH on chalk boards too! This one turned out so awesome. It looks so pretty in your home. I can't wait to make a large chalk board for my house, you totally inspired me!
    -Kylie
    absolutelyarkansas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie, so happy that you stopped by to share that you've been inspired! I'll be on the lookout at Absolutely Arkansas to see your chalkboard. Love the snow pics! Blessings, Anna

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! Love that frame--such a great detail on the top. Stop by and link up if you have time!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yay! I can't wait to check out "very merry vintage style"! Blessings, Anna

      Delete
  6. Just gorgeous! What a creative makeover. Gonna add this to Pinterest for inspiration once we move. Thanks so much for sharing at Thrifty Thursday, Anna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! What a treat to have you visit Anna & Co. It's super easy! I'll be on the lookout for your version.
      Blessings, Anna

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...