Sunday, June 17, 2012

Me & My Gang | {Father's Day} A Son's Notes


Today, Allen (my husband and father to my children) was asked to speak during morning worship for Father's Day.  

Although he didn't stick to his notes entirely, I thought I would share them (with permission) in honor of Donnie and all the fathers that give endlessly and love unconditionally.

I know the notes will not even come close to the heartfelt tribute that took place, but I hope you can feel the love that was shared today in our morning service.

Happy Father's Day!

~ Fathers Day 2012 ~
{by Allen Bledsoe}
I am thankful to be able to give honor to my father today. My dad first became a father in March of 1972 and very shortly he realized that the responsibilities of Fatherhood far outweighed anything he had faced to that point. Now that I am a father myself, I can certainly relate to all those times he said "one day you'll understand" or "one day you'll thank me". Well Dad, today is that day......Thank you for everything!!! Thank you for holding to your convictions even when it would have been easier to give in. Thank you for the prayer covering that kept me safe. Thank you for loving my children, they both adore you!! The very fact that I'm here standing before you speaks volumes about the influence my Dad has had in my life.  As I was preparing for this tribute to my father and what a true picture of a Father's love was, I was reminded of a certain story in the Old Testament about King David.  I'll admit that the role of Father is not the first thing I think of when I think about this mighty warrior of both battle and worship and beloved anointed King. You see, this was a very difficult time in David's life. His son Absalom had conspired against him to take his throne and David's armies and Absalom's armies  were at war. Even though Father and son were at odds David had given the order not to harm Absalom, after all this was his son ....and he loved him dearly.  Upon learning of Absalom's death in battle, this was David's response........(2 Samuel 18:33 KJV) And the king was much moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept: and as he went, thus he said, O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!......I can't think of any purer picture of a Father's love for his son than this. No, I have never wanted or tried to kill my father, but I am confident that his heart has been broken many times as he watched me make mistakes and know that all he could do was love me anyway and cover me with prayer. It was just a few years ago that I found myself in an extremely dark place, I was definitely at a crossroad in life and not in any shape to make choices and decisions that would affect the rest of my life. I remember one afternoon dad showed up on my doorstep unannounced and I was NOT happy about it and did not want him there. You see I was not looking for his advise and I made my feelings clear to him. I am ashamed of the way I treated him and the way I talked to him. As any good Father would do he came on in and after he took my abuse he offered me this statement " imagine Ethan drowning in the middle of the Lake, would you not do everything in your power to save him and keep him from drowning?", then after my response of " of course I would" he said "son, what am I supposed to do? Am I to just stand back and watch you drown?This man that I have always seen as the toughest  man I have ever known had just softened my heart with his love and it is because of his love that I can stand here before you today a different man and honor my Dad. Some may think this is a lofty comparison, to compare my Dad to a king, but I am pretty sure there have been times when just like King David, that my Dad would have taken my place if he could have.  I'll leave you with this last memory to lighten things up a bit. It was right before Christmas one year and I was framing a house for a Builder that Dad and I had both known for quite some time. I was having a small disagreement with this contractor about getting a payment for the work we had done . After realizing that neither of us was going to back down he left and went down the road to another house. Well the more I thought about it, the madder I became and I went to that house to finish our " discussion". After a few minutes, in great disgust he growled " Boy, your just like your Daddy!" and   my response was to growl back " thank you very much, I'll take that as a complement!" To this very day if you want to pay me a complement, simply say to me " your just like your Dad" I still can't think of any higher honor.

I love you Dad ! Happy Father's Day!!!!!

Blessing,
Anna

10 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Even got me a little choked up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute!! Thanks, Allen, for allowing Anna to share it with us. I'm sure there were few dry eyes when this was read. You do have a really great father.....and it seems you are following closely in his footsteps, taking his advice and example....becoming just like him.
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allen shared his heart and inspired so many dads. This was truly the highlight of the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!!! Donnie Bledsoe is an amazing person :) when our church was going through a really challenging building program, Donnie came down and rescued us! Many blessings to him and his sweet family :) Thanks for sharing ~Darla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to comment and leave your kind words here. Yes, I'm blessed beyond measure to have Donnie as a Papaw to my children. Such an AMAZING man that the kids love dearly.

    I love hearing from readers! A huge THANK YOU to Jon and Darla, I believe you guys are first time visitors. I would love for you to come back and share here.

    Suzanne and Debby, thank you for continuing to read and leave words of encouragement here. I really do enjoy your company at Anna & Co.

    Blessings,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allen and Anna,
    Your remarks are such a great, powerful and worthy tribute to the man you call Dad and Papaw and that I am proud to call my brother in the LORD and in the flesh. Although I have a long way to go to live up to his example, Donnie has served to inspire me to do my very best in touch and less than desirable circumstances. And if I've had any success, I'm sure Donnie would join me in a praise "TO GOD BE THE GLORY". Blessings, Uncle David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      What a treat it is to have you drop by here to leave such kind words to your brother Donnie. Yes, we are extremely blessed to have Donnie in our lives. Thank you so much for taking of your time to comment here. I'm sure Donnie will enjoy reading these remarks.
      Have a blessed day,
      Anna

      Delete
  7. I LOVED reading this tear-inducing tribute. If we had more fathers like that, the world would be a much different place! Thanks for sharing something so personal. - Tonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonya, thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment for Donnie. Generation after generation can reap from one father's choice of committed fatherhood. Donnie is a perfect example of what a father should be to his son, always giving wise direction. We love him dearly. I'm so glad you took a moment to leave your remarks here. I hope you'll visit again soon!
      Blessings,
      Anna

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...